Sunday, April 8, 2012

Survival Tips: How to Make a Single-Handed Tourniquet

                                                                 DISCLAIMER:  


I AM NOT A DOCTOR!  I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY INJURY YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE MAY INCUR FROM THE USE OR MISUSE OF THESE TECHNIQUES. TOURNIQUETS ARE DANGEROUS, ESPECIALLY IN UNTRAINED HANDS! I AM NOT CONDONING THE USE OF TOURNIQUETS, MERELY JUST PRESENTING AN INEXPENSIVE WAY TO MANUFACTURE THEM. THIS IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU USE THESE TECHNIQUES! YOU SHOULD GET PROPER TRAINING BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO TREAT ANY MEDICAL PROBLEMS OR INJURIES! THE READER ASSUMES ALL LIABILITIES.


 Many injuries can involve serious hemorrhaging, and a "Blow Out Kit" is designed to be a very simple, easy access kit to prevent you from bleeding to death if you are alone and are suddenly injured. I have noticed that many people have added expensive "Single-Handed Tourniquets" to these kits. I'm sure you can figure out why...


I made my own "Single-Handed Tourniquet" using these two things:
3-4 feet of 550 cord (or you can use boot laces, extra long)
1 medium sized, sturdy key ring







 I started by making a loop about the size of a .50 cent piece, with the key ring attached.



 Next I strung the long "tail end" of the cord through the loop, not through the key ring. This is how the entire thing can be stored, folded up and ready for me to use with one hand should the other become unusable. The large loop is what I utilize if need be.






In order to "lock it down" I pull back on the "tail" end, drawing the loop tight.








 I continue pulling all the way around until I come to the key ring.




 Next, I pull the "tail" through the key ring, and pull back.




 Now I tie it off.





 Once again, this is not demonstrating the proper use of a tourniquet, but now you know how to make one from scratch.


Hopefully this will help you to save a few dollars on an expensive item for your first aid kit.

 I will post on how to put together a proper "Blow Out Kit" at a later time.

Thank you for reading!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment